Thursday, October 6, 2011

My students

Every Thursday I have the honor of helping my son's class with their Language Arts groups. I get 2 groups of 4 students that rotate.
My first group is Surj, Warren, Poala, and Yustin.
This group started out pretty much at the bottom. They didn't know their letters or sounds. They could barely write their names. But as the weeks have passed, I have been able to see their progress.
I am so proud of them!
Today, Surj was the first done, while Warren and Poala were racing each other to see who could get through first. They were working so hard and barely needed my help to sort pictures into the boxes of their beginning letters. And Surj took it upon himself to assist Yustin with his work. They were finished and cleaning up before it was time to switch groups, which was the first time they have ever done that! It made me want to hug them, I was so happy!
My second group consists of Ian (my son), Zanji, Serena (the tiniest little girl!), and Messiah. When Ian started kindergarten, it was the first time in his life he had ever had to be in a routine. His first 2 weeks were really hard on him because he wasn't allowed to do what he wanted, when he wanted. But now he  is doing so wonderful! He doesn't need assistance on his work, and he's working faster than ever (he has issues with wanting to watch others and chit chat instead of doing his work, but he's finally learning that he can get his work done quickly, then move on to the fun stuff) Zanji and Serena have always been my smart kids. They love talking, and working together. And they're both just so sweet.
Messiah...well, Messiah is one of those cases that is the perfect example of how disruption at home makes for a disruptive child. (he's told me "Daddy sleeps on the couch all the time) All the kids tell me "Messiah is a bad kid!" Messiah is always getting in trouble!" and it makes me feel so bad for him. I know it hurts his feelings. He's the "new" kid and I think he feels like an outsider. So I am trying to work with him on focusing on his work and changing the way the kids see him. I tell them its not nice to call someone a "bad kid". I tell him that he show show people what a good boy he can be. I have to constantly steer his attention to his work. It can be very frustrating, but I try to use as much positive reinforcement as possible. And I think I may be getting through to him in the smallest way. He was the last one finished with his work, but the teacher told me that it was the first thing he's finished today.

I didn't think they would, but these kids are growing on me. I get excited about helping them. I want to give them the encouragement that will help them strive for scholastic success. And I'm so honored to have this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment